Thursday, December 3, 2009

Q & A With Top Prospect Hudson Boyd


I just finished talking with nationally ranked RHP Hudson Boyd out of Fort Myers, FL. The 6-2 230 pitcher from South Fort Myers High School currently sits at number 24 nationally, but that is sure to go up as the spring and summer circuits approach.
1. First off, congrats on signing with the Florida Gators. Being a Florida kid anyway, was this an easy decision for you to make? What were some of the things that geared you more to Florida then to some of the other schools that wanted you?
1. I went to Florida for a prospect camp and fell in love with everything. I just knew I wanted to be a Gator. I really love the city of Gainesville and just knew I wanted to spend my college years there.
2. As a pitcher, what pitches do you have in your repitoire, where do they clock in at and what is your favorite pitch to throw?
2. I have a fastball that will be anymore from 88-94. A change-up that's anywhere from 83-85. My curveball is about 79-81. I don't really have a favorite pitch because I think they all are equally effective in certain situations so it's hard to have a favorite that I always go to.
3. What was your favorite personal baseball memory?
3. I can't say I have one favorite baseball memory. I have a lot! But if I had to choose I would have to say this past summer that I spent up at Midland. It was a lot of fun because the only thing we really did was play baseball and hang out. I made a lot of friends that I still keep in contact with and hope to see this coming summer when I go back!
4. Being a nationally ranked pitcher, does that have an effect on how your pitch and on your daily life outside of baseball?
4. It doesn't effect how I pitch that much. I know what pitches I need to execute to be successful. As far as outside of baseball it's still the same pretty much. Just when I go out with friends I'm introduced as "This is Hudson; He's going to UF to play baseball." My family keeps me grounded and my friends still rag on me so life hasn't changed too much.
5. Who's your favorite baseball player and favorite team?
5. My favorite player is Scott Rolen. He's out there everyday playing through pain. He's a good guy to copy in my opinion. I like to watch the Cardinals play because they play as a team and they have a blue-collar approach to the game.
6. Last question. Have you talked to any of the other recruits, as there are a lot, that have already signed with Florida? 11's Kelly and Harris or 12's McCullers Foody, Winker, Kendall?
6. I have only met Michael Kelly a couple of times. He seemed really cool and I'm excited to play with him in college. I did play with Lance McCullers this summer and I like Lance a lot. He's a good player and was a good teammate. He was also just a cool guy to hang with off-the-field.

1 comment:

  1. I umpired a game behind the plate with this young man on the mound. His demeanor is calm and low key. I called a ball four that may have been a strike three - and while the scouts were howling behind the fence, this young man just took the ball and struck out the next batter. The next inning he came to the plate and made a friendly remark about the scoreboard being wrong. He let the last inning go and focused on the next task at hand. Great velocity, great control on his breaking pitch, and a great demeanor. He will be fantastic at the next level and I look forward to following his career.

    ReplyDelete